A Minnesota Secretary of State Business Search is performed to find specific information on Minnesota’s business entities or to determine if a name you would like to use.
Minnesota Secretary of State Business Search
A Minnesota Secretary of State business search can be done to find specific information on Minnesota business entities or to check if a name you are interested in using is available. When searching the Minnesota business database, you can search by name or file number. When you search for entities, the information you will receive includes the filing history of the company, a Certificate of Good Standing and any other details that are publicly available.
Minnesota Business Entity Search
A business entity search can be done by anyone. This is something you might do if:
- Business owner, or aspiring business owner
- An affiliate
All publicly available information is possible to find if you use the right search criteria. You can use the business search function to find Certificates of Good Standing and pay $15.00 for the Certificate.
- Visit the Minnesota Secretary Of State’s website.
- Select the “Business Name” tab on the search page.
- Click “Search” and enter the name you wish to search. You will see a page with results matching your search criteria.
- Click the Details link next to the result that interests you to learn more about the entity.
All details regarding the business that you are checking will be made available. This includes all information publicly available about the filing history of the business as well as details about the Certificate of Good Standing.
If you’d prefer, you can search by file number. This is a more efficient search method.
- Choose the File Number tab in the Search Business Filings section at the top of your search box.
- Enter the file number, and click “Search.”
- You’ll get one match result as long as the file number is entered correctly.
The detailed information for each business entity will be displayed to you. You will also have access to the filing history of the company and its Certificates of Good Standing.
Searching for a Business Name
Searching for a business name requires only a portion of the name. You can search only a portion of the entity name if there is no match for your business name. You can also use the options below the search bar to perform a more thorough search.
- Search Scope: You’ll only see results for companies whose names begin with the exact words that you have entered if you choose the “Begins With” tab. You’ll only get results for companies whose names match your entered words if you choose “Contains”.
- Filing Status: Search results will only show active company names if you select “Active”. Selecting “Inactive” will only show names that are currently inactive.
- Include Prior Names: This section shows only results for the most recent names. If you choose “Include”, the database will show results for all company names, regardless of whether they are active or prior.
Cost to File a New Nonprofit or Business
These are the costs to file a new nonprofit or business:
- Assumed Title – $50
- Business Corporation, Limited-Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership(Domestic), Limited-Liability Partnership – $155
- Business Corporation, Cooperative (Foreign), $220
- Cooperative (Domestic), Cooperative Association $80
- Limited Liability Company (Foreign), – $205
- Limited Partnership, (Domestic), Limited Partner (Foreign), $120
- Name Reservation – $55
- Nonprofit Corporation (Domestic), $90
- Nonprofit Corporation (Foreign) – $70
More information will result in more accurate results. When searching for a business name to find out if it is available, be sure to follow the state’s guidelines when creating a business entity. Minnesota, like other states, has its own rules regarding company names. You can’t check for availability of certain company names online, so it is best to call the office or visit them in person.
To learn more about starting a business and proper filing procedures, as well as obtaining the right forms, you can visit the Secretary of States website.
My #1 Recommended LLC Formation Service
Northwest Registered Agent
Offices in 50 States
Northwest's Google My Business Profile