What Does Services of Process Mean?

Service of process is a legal term that refers to the procedure by which a party to a lawsuit gives appropriate notice of initial legal action to another party (such as a defendant or respondent), court, or administrative body in an effort to exercise jurisdiction over that person in order to enable that person to respond to the proceeding before the court, body, or other tribunal.

This procedure is crucial in ensuring all parties are duly informed and can exercise their rights to answer the legal action or to argue their point of view.

Notice is furnished by delivering a set of court documents (like a summons, complaint, or subpoena) to the person to be served. This service is typically done by a process server who is often a sheriff, constable, or other person authorized by law to serve legal documents. However, any adult who is not a party to the litigation may serve the papers.

Rules vary depending on jurisdiction, but generally, if a party is not properly served with process according to the applicable rules, then the court cannot exercise jurisdiction over the party and the proceedings may be dismissed.

Visit our glossary for more definitions

author avatar
Brian Wilson Writer and Editor
Brian Wilson is the content manager and founder of LLC Radar. Brian grew up in North Texas, just outside of Dallas, and has a bachelor's degree in business from Southern Methodist University. Since graduating from SMU, Brian has gained over 10 years of experience in business writing for several online publications. Brian resides in Plano, Texas and he can be reached by email:   info@llcradar.com Phone: 972-776-4050
  Information provided on this website is for general information and educational purposes only. It is not intended to offer legal advice specific to your business needs. If you need legal advice, you should consult with an attorney. Rankings and reviews are the personal opinions of the authors and/or editors. For questions, while starting a business, we recommend consulting with an attorney or accountant.  

Related Posts

None found