Search for your preferred name to form an LLC in Kentucky. Make sure it’s available.
Kentucky LLC names must be unique and meet certain state requirements.
Kentucky Business Name Search
Kentucky LLC Name Requirements
There are some requirements that you must know before searching for your Kentucky LLC name:
1. You must use the abbreviations “LLC”, or “L.L.C.” at the end of your Kentucky LLC name. The most commonly used abbreviation is “LLC”.
2. A Kentucky LLC is not a Corporation. Your desired LLC name can’t use the words “Corporation”, or “Incorporated” or their abbreviations (“Corp. or “Inc .”).”).
3. The name of your LLC must be distinctive. It must be distinct from all other Kentucky businesses.
Designators are the identifiers at end of business names (LLC, Inc., etc.). There may be differences in the designators. do not create distinguishability.
Different grammars do not necessarily create distinction.
- LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
- Single, plural, and possessive
- A, An, The
- and, or, &
- hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
Search the Kentucky Name Database
Kentucky offers two ways to search for your preferred LLC name:
- The state can check your name availability by calling 502-564-344090.
- Search your LLC name online using the FastTrack Business Organization Search Station
FastTrack Business Organization Search Station
1. Visit the FastTrack Business Entity Research Station
2. Search for Your LLC Name
In the search box, type your desired LLC name.
You can leave out the “LLC” ending and punctuation.
Capitalization doesn’t matter.
To ensure that you are thorough, enter only the first or two words of your LLC name. This will allow you to see all similar names.
You can be more specific by entering a portion of the first word. Ex: If your Kentucky LLC name is Printing Solutions LLC, enter “print”.
3. Check out the Results
Click “Continue” to browse the current Kentucky businesses.
If you see the message ” No matching organizations were found, ” your chosen LLC name is unique and can be used.
If you see names that are similar to yours (meaning they are distinguishable), your chosen LLC name can be used.
Your desired LLC name does not appear exactly in the search results. It is possible to come up with unique names or creative variations.
Your desired Kentucky LLC name cannot be used if a search result shows a similar name. It is possible to come up with unique names or creative variations.
Tip If your chosen Kentucky LLC name is not distinguishable, you can file paperwork with the state. The Kentucky Secretary of State will return your file and inform you if your name isn’t available.
After you have chosen a Kentucky LLC name that is distinctive and unique, you can now choose your LLC’s Registered agent.
Contact Information for the Kentucky Secretary of State
You can reach the Kentucky Secretary Of State at 502-564-3990 if you have any questions.