To change your registered agent in the state of Kentucky, you’ll need to file a “Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office Address” form on the Kentucky Secretary of State’s FastTrack Online Filings website. You can submit the form in three ways.
To change your registered agent in Kentucky there are three main options to take.
- Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
- Do it online
- Do it by mail or in-person
Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.
1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in Kentucky
Using a professional registered agent service in the state of Kentucky can provide several benefits for businesses.
Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:
1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with Kentucky state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.
2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.
3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.
4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.
5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in Kentucky but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.
6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.
7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.
It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within Kentucky state regulations.
2. Change Kentucky Registered Agent Online
To change a registered agent in the state of Kentucky online, follow these steps:
1. Visit the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website to access the necessary form. The website is the official online platform for filing business-related documents and managing business entities in Kentucky.
2. Locate the specific form required for changing the registered agent. In Kentucky, the form you need to file is called the “Statement of Change of Registered Agent or Registered Office” (Form RA-UM). This form allows you to update your registered agent information.
3. Download the Form RA-UM from the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website. The form is usually available in a downloadable PDF format.
4. Fill out the form with the required information. Include details such as your business entity name, the new registered agent’s name and address, and your contact information. Make sure to provide accurate and up-to-date information.
5. Review the form to ensure all the information is correct and complete. Mistakes or incomplete information can lead to processing delays or rejection of the filing.
6. Pay the applicable filing fee online. The fee for changing a registered agent may vary, so consult the fee schedule provided on the Secretary of State’s website for the most current information.
7. Submit the completed Form RA-UM and payment online through the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website. Look for the designated filing portal or online submission system on their website.
8. Keep a copy of the submitted form and payment receipt for your records.
For more detailed information and to access the specific form, you can visit the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website at https://sos.ky.gov/. Their website provides comprehensive resources, including the necessary forms, fee schedules, and instructions to guide you through the process of changing your registered agent online in Kentucky.
3. Change Kentucky Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person
To change a registered agent in the state of Kentucky by mail, you can follow these steps:
1. Obtain the Correct Form: The form you need to use to change your registered agent in Kentucky is called the “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent” (Form SI-100). This form can be obtained from the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website.
2. Access the Kentucky Secretary of State’s Website: Go to the website of the Kentucky Secretary of State, which is the official entity responsible for handling business filings in the state. The website can be accessed at: https://sos.ky.gov/
3. Locate the Form: On the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website, navigate to the section for forms or search for “Form SI-100.” Look for the form titled “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent.”
4. Download the Form: Once you locate the correct form, click on it to download it in PDF format. Save the form to your computer or device.
5. Complete the Form: Open the downloaded Form SI-100 and fill it out accurately and completely. Provide the necessary information, including your business name, entity type, current registered agent information, new registered agent information, and any other required details.
6. Print and Sign the Form: Once you have completed the form, print it out and sign it manually. Ensure that all required fields are filled in correctly.
7. Prepare Supporting Documents: Along with the completed and signed Form SI-100, you may need to include additional supporting documents as required by the Kentucky Secretary of State. Check the instructions or guidelines provided with the form to determine if any additional documents are necessary.
8. Mail the Form: Once you have completed the form and gathered any required supporting documents, mail them to the Kentucky Secretary of State’s office at the following address:
Kentucky Secretary of State
P.O. Box 718
Frankfort, KY 40602
9. Enclose the Filing Fee: Include the applicable filing fee along with the form and supporting documents. The filing fee can vary, so check the current fee schedule on the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website or contact their office directly for the accurate fee amount.
10. Await Confirmation: After mailing the form and payment, allow some time for processing. The Kentucky Secretary of State’s office will review the submission, update the registered agent information, and provide confirmation of the change.
Please note that the specific steps and processes may change over time, so it’s recommended to visit the official website of the Kentucky Secretary of State for the most up-to-date information and to ensure compliance with the current requirements and procedures.
How long does it take to change a registered agent in Kentucky?
It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the Kentucky Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.
Can I be my own registered agent in the state of Kentucky?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of Kentucky. Kentucky allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.
When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in Kentucky where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
- Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
- Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of Kentucky.
By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.
Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.