To change your registered agent (aka resident agent) in the state of Michigan, you’ll need to file a “Certificate of Change of Registered Office and/or Change of Resident Agent form with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.  You can submit the form in three ways.

To change your registered agent in Michigan there are three main options to take.

  1. Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
  2. Do it online
  3. Do it by mail or in-person

Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.

How to Change Registered Agent. Two people at a desk working with a computer

1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in Michigan

Using a professional registered agent service in the state of Michigan can provide several benefits for businesses.

Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:

1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with Michigan state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.

2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.

3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.

4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.

5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in Michigan but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.

6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.

7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.

It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within Michigan state regulations.

2. Change Michigan Registered Agent Online

Changing a registered agent in the state of Michigan can be done online through the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) website. Here are the steps to follow, including some SEO terms with LSI words:

  1. Access the LARA Website:
    • Open your web browser and navigate to the official LARA website. The website link is
    • By visiting the website, you can find the necessary information and resources related to changing your registered agent in Michigan.
  2. Locate the Forms Section:
    • Look for the “Forms” or “Business Services” section on the LARA website.
    • In this section, you can find various forms related to business filings and updates.
  3. Find the Registered Agent Change Form:
    • Search for the specific form required to change your registered agent. The form you need is called “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent” (Form 512) in Michigan.
    • Locate and download Form 512 from the LARA website. The form may be available in PDF or editable online format.
  4. Complete the Form:
    • Open the downloaded Form 512 or the online version of the form.
    • Provide the necessary information, including your business entity details, current registered agent information, and new registered agent information. Use accurate and up-to-date information to ensure a smooth transition.
  5. Submit the Form Online:
    • Follow the instructions on the LARA website to submit the completed Form 512 electronically.
    • Provide any additional details or documentation as requested.
    • Pay any applicable filing fees online through the secure payment system.
  6. Confirmation and Updated Information:
    • After submitting the form and payment, you should receive a confirmation or receipt indicating that your request to change the registered agent has been received.
    • The updated registered agent information should be reflected in the state’s records once the filing is processed and approved by LARA.

Remember to keep a copy of the submitted form and any related documents for your records.

By following these steps, you can change your registered agent in Michigan online through the LARA website, efficiently updating your business’s information in compliance with state requirements.

3. Change Michigan Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person

To change a registered agent in the state of Michigan by mail, please follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Obtain the Form: The form required for changing a registered agent in Michigan is called “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent” (Form CSCL/CD-202). You can obtain this form from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) website or by contacting LARA directly.
  2. Fill Out the Form: Complete the Form CSCL/CD-202 accurately and legibly. Provide all the necessary information, including the name of your business entity, the current registered agent’s details, and the new registered agent’s information. Make sure to provide your contact information as well.
  3. Prepare Supporting Documents: Along with the completed Form CSCL/CD-202, you may need to attach additional supporting documents, depending on the specific circumstances. For example, if the new registered agent is an individual, you may need to attach a consent form signed by the new agent.
  4. Make Copies: Create copies of the completed Form CSCL/CD-202 and any supporting documents. It is always advisable to keep copies for your records before sending the original documents.
  5. Prepare Payment: Include the appropriate filing fee with your submission. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the fee for changing a registered agent in Michigan was $5. However, fees may have changed, so it is recommended to verify the current fee by visiting the official LARA website.
  6. Mail the Documents: Send the original completed Form CSCL/CD-202, supporting documents, and the payment in a single package via certified mail, return receipt requested, to the following address:Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) Corporation Division P.O. Box 30054 Lansing, MI 48909
  7. Confirmation and Processing: Once the documents are received by LARA, they will be processed, and if everything is in order, the changes to your registered agent will be recorded. You will typically receive a confirmation or acknowledgment by mail.

Please note that while I strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information, it is always a good idea to double-check the latest requirements and procedures on the official LARA website. Here is the link to the LARA website: Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Remember to consult with a legal professional or seek advice from LARA directly if you have specific questions or concerns regarding your situation.

Michigan Business Tips

When it comes to forming an LLC in Michigan, it’s essential to consider the best LLC services and registered agents in Michigan. A good LLC service may prevent delays and effect the length of time to form your Michigan LLC due to filing errors from diy entreprenuers. Choosing a Michigan LLC vs S Corp is another issue to consider.

To begin, conduct a Michigan LLC name search to ensure the availability of your desired business name.

Once you’ve confirmed its availability, you can proceed with preparing the essential formation documents, including registering your Michigan business name and drafting a Michigan LLC operating agreement, which outlines the internal structure and management of your LLC.

It’s advisable to gather all required information and submit your filings promptly. Furthermore, applying for a business licenses in Michigan if you are required is something to consider and obtaining a Michigan Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS is essential for tax purposes if you plan to have employees.

You may want to be your own registered agent in Michigan, or if you ever want to change your Michigan registered agent, the options are available for a smooth transition.

In the event that you decide to dissolve an LLC in Michigan, ensure compliance with the state’s dissolution procedures to avoid any potential legal or financial complications.

Consulting with professional dissolution services like Incfile can provide valuable guidance and assistance throughout the dissolution process, ensuring a smooth conclusion to your LLC’s operations in Michigan.


How long does it take to change a registered agent in Michigan?

It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the Michigan Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.

Can I be my own registered agent in the state of Michigan?

Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of Michigan. Michigan allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.

When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:

  1. Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in Michigan where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
  2. Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
  3. Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of Michigan.

By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.

Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the Michigan Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.

author avatar
Brian Wilson Writer and Editor
Brian Wilson is the content manager and founder of LLC Radar. Brian grew up in North Texas, just outside of Dallas, and has a bachelor's degree in business from Southern Methodist University. Since graduating from SMU, Brian has gained over 10 years of experience in business writing for several online publications. Brian resides in Plano, Texas and he can be reached by email: Phone: 972-776-4050
  Information provided on this website is for general information and educational purposes only. It is not intended to offer legal advice specific to your business needs. If you need legal advice, you should consult with an attorney. Rankings and reviews are the personal opinions of the authors and/or editors. For questions, while starting a business, we recommend consulting with an attorney or accountant.