To change your registered agent in Ohio, obtain the “Statement of Change of Agent” form (Form 532A) from the Ohio Secretary of State’s official website [https://www.sos.state.oh.us/globalassets/business/forms/532a.pdf].
Accurately complete the form with your business details, current registered agent’s information, and the new registered agent’s particulars.
Include the requisite filing fee. Submit the filled form by mail or in person to the Secretary of State’s office [https://www.sos.state.oh.us/globalassets/business/forms/532a.pdf], ensuring adherence to Ohio state regulations.
This process guarantees a compliant and successful change of registered agent.
To change your registered agent in Ohio there are three main options to take.
- Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
- Do it online
- Do it by mail or in-person
Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.
1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in Ohio
Using a professional registered agent service in the state of Ohio can provide several benefits for businesses.
Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:
1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: Changing a registered agent is different for each state. A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with Ohio state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.
2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.
3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.
4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.
5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in Ohio but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.
6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.
7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.
It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within Ohio state regulations.
2. Change Ohio Registered Agent Online
To change a registered agent in the state of Ohio online, you can follow these steps:
- Access the Ohio Secretary of State’s Website: Go to the official website of the Ohio Secretary of State. This can be done by searching for “Ohio Secretary of State” in a search engine or directly entering the website address, which is https://www.sos.state.oh.us.
- Navigate to the Business Services Section: On the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, look for the “Business Services” section. This section typically contains information and resources related to businesses and corporate filings.
- Locate the Change of Agent Form: Within the Business Services section, search for the specific form required for changing the registered agent. In Ohio, the form you need is called the “Change of Statutory Agent/Resident Agent” form. Look for a link or a section titled “Forms” or “Filing Forms” to find and access the form.
- Fill out the Change of Agent Form: Once you have obtained the “Change of Statutory Agent/Resident Agent” form, complete the required fields. Provide accurate and up-to-date information about your business, including the current registered agent’s details and the new registered agent’s information.
- Submit the Form Online: After filling out the form, follow the instructions provided on the website to submit it online. You may need to create an account or log in to an existing account on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website. Follow the prompts to upload the completed form and any required supporting documents.
- Pay the Required Fees: There may be a fee associated with changing the registered agent in Ohio. Ensure you pay the required fee using the accepted payment methods indicated on the website. The fee amount and payment options will be provided during the online submission process.
- Receive Confirmation and Updated Documentation: After submitting the form and paying the fees, you will receive confirmation of the filing. The Ohio Secretary of State’s office will process the request and update your business’s records accordingly. You may receive updated documentation, such as a new certificate of registration or acknowledgment of the change.
Remember to consult the official Ohio Secretary of State’s website for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding changing a registered agent.
3. Change Ohio Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person
To change a registered agent in the state of Ohio by mail, you will need to follow these steps:
- Obtain the appropriate form: The form you need to use is called the “Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office” (Form 532A). You can obtain this form from the Ohio Secretary of State’s website.
- Download and print the form: Visit the Ohio Secretary of State’s website at https://www.sos.state.oh.us/. Look for the “Forms and Fees” section or a similar tab on the website. Locate Form 532A, click on it to download the PDF file, and then print it out.
- Fill out the form: Carefully complete the Form 532A with accurate information. Make sure to provide the name of the current registered agent, the name and address of the new registered agent, and the effective date of the change.
- Prepare the filing fee: Along with the completed form, you will need to include the filing fee. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the fee for filing the Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office is $25. However, please note that fees may change over time, so it’s essential to check the current fee on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website.
- Create a cover letter: Write a cover letter addressed to the Ohio Secretary of State’s office explaining your request to change the registered agent. Include your contact information in case they need to reach you for any clarification or further information.
- Compile the documents: Place the completed Form 532A, the filing fee payment, and the cover letter in an envelope. Ensure that all the necessary documents are included and well-organized.
- Mail the package: Address the envelope to the Ohio Secretary of State’s office. As of now, the address is:Ohio Secretary of State Business Services Division P.O. Box 670 Columbus, OH 43216
- Wait for processing: After mailing the package, you will need to wait for the Ohio Secretary of State’s office to process your request. Processing times can vary, so it is advisable to check their website or contact their office for estimated processing times.
How long does it take to change a registered agent in Ohio?
It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the Ohio Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.
Can I be my own registered agent in the state of Ohio?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of Ohio. Ohio allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.
When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in Ohio where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
- Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
- Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of Ohio.
By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.
Change a registered agent is different for each state. Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.