How to do a business name search in Ohio
Searching for Ohio businesses is done through the Ohio Secretary of State site. The public records database maintains a log of all business filings and is easy to navigate.
What is the Ohio Business Name Search?
It is used to check if the Ohio Business Name Search has been used by any other entity. It’s used to find information about an existing business, such as whether it is in good standing and the address of the registered agent . The business search is also available if an LLC requires a certified copy of its Ohio Articles of Organization.
Steps to Search by Name
- Enter the exact name of your business in the search box. Click “search.”
- The list will contain all names that match your search criteria. Take a look at the list. Click the entity number to return after finding the business name.
- You will see the details of the business name you selected on the previous page. This information includes links to images and a history of all filings.
Steps to Search for a Detail Business
- If the business name, type, status, or business location are known, you can use the detailed search option.
- After the search has been initiated, you will see a page listing all the results. Click the entity number next to the business name to find out more information.
- Images and document numbers will be displayed along with the files submitted.
Steps to Search by Number
- You can refine your search by entering the document ID or registration number.
- The search results for a single ID number will display information such as the current date, status, and business type.
- A number for the entity will be displayed. Click this link to go to the next page. You can view all files associated with the ID or number on the details page.
Steps to Search by Agent or Contact Name
- If you can find the correct name, enter it into the search box.
- A list of officials will be displayed in the search results. Click the number in the left column to retrieve more information about the entity.
- Clicking the entity number will bring up a new page with the details of the entity, which were included in the original documents. Click the document ID to view additional filings.
Steps to Search by Name Availability
- Choose the name that the company will use.
- Once you have chosen a name, use the availability tool for information about whether it is still available.
Ohio Name Search FAQ
What is a DBA?
DBA stands for “doing business as.” A DBA permits a person to register their business under a different name than the owner. A DBA registered is an operational and fully legal business.
Why do I need to create a DBA?
If someone intends to use a fictional name instead of the owner’s, Ohio requires that they have a DBA.
How do I create a DBA?
Contact your county clerk’s office to determine if the name you are looking for is available in Ohio.
What are the steps to register and file an Ohio business name?
The information required to register and file a business includes the name of the person filing, their principal location, and the type and nature of the business they are operating under.
Is there anything more than choosing a business name?
Yes. Two things are important to remember when creating a DBA entity. Check with domain name companies to see if the business has an available URL. Consider setting up an email account for the business entity if there is no expectation of a web presence.
How can I verify if an LLC is registered in Ohio?
You can use the Ohio Business Search Tool to check if your business name appears.
Do I have to name my LLC after me?
Although there is no prohibition against naming your LLC after yourself (most experts recommend against it).
An advantage of an LLC is that you can choose a different business name, which can make your business sound more professional.
What words are prohibited in the Ohio LLC name?
It is not possible to include words in business names that suggest that the company is a bank or financial institution, or that it is affiliated with a local or state government agency.
Ohio bans profanity.
What is a brand?
A brand name is a name that a company gives to a product line or product. It can be the exact same as the company name, or something else.
Our How To Name An LLC guide will help you learn more about branding your business entity name.
Do I need to include LLC in the name?
Yes. Yes. in their legal name.
Find out more information about LLC naming requirements at the Ohio Naming Guidelines section.
What do I need to do to renew my Ohio business name?
Ohio does not require LLCs to renew their legal names, but they must renew trade names every five years.
Is it possible for my Ohio LLC to have a different business name than my Ohio LLC?
Some companies prefer to operate under a different name than their legal name. It can be called either a “doing business as” (DBA) or a trade name.
Ohio’s Secretary of State requires that LLC trade names be filed.
Do I need a DBA for my LLC?
If your LLC plans to conduct business under another name than its legal name, a DBA is not required. Read our guide to filing a DBA, and then select Ohio from the dropdown menu.