To change your registered agent in New York, access the “Certificate of Change of Registered Agent/Address” form (Form DOS 1337) on the New York Department of State’s official website https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/corporations/1337-f-l-a.pdf.
Accurately fill out the form with your business details, current registered agent’s information, and the new registered agent’s particulars.
Ensure to include the required filing fee. Submit the completed form via mail or in person to the Department of State https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/corporations/1337-f-l-a.pdf.
Adhering to these steps ensures a proper and compliant change of your registered agent in New York.
How to change your registered agent in New York
There are three main options to take.
- Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
- Do it online
- Do it by mail or in-person
Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.
1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in New York
Using a professional registered agent service in the state of New York can provide several benefits for businesses.
Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:
1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with New York state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.
2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.
3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.
4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.
5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in New York but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.
6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.
7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.
It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within New York state regulations.
2. Change New York Registered Agent Online
To change a registered agent in the state of New York online, follow these steps:
Access the New York Department of State’s Website:
Visit the official website of the New York Department of State. This is an essential step to ensure you have the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the process of changing a registered agent in New York.
Locate the Required Form:
Look for the specific form required for changing a registered agent. In New York, the form you need to file is called the “Certificate of Change of Registered Agent/Office” (Form DOS-1336). This form will provide the necessary information to update the registered agent details.
Download the Form:
Download the Form DOS-1336 from the New York Department of State’s website. You can typically find it in the “Forms” or “Business Entities” section of the website. Ensure that you have the correct and most recent version of the form.
Complete the Form:
Fill out the Certificate of Change of Registered Agent/Office (Form DOS-1336) with the required information. This typically includes the name of your business entity, the new registered agent’s name and address, and any other necessary details.
Submit the Form Online:
Upload the completed Form DOS-1336 through the New York Department of State’s online filing system. Follow the instructions provided on the website to submit the form electronically. Make sure to include any required fees and payment information as well.
Confirmation and Documentation:
After submitting the form, you should receive a confirmation of the filing. Keep a copy of the filed Certificate of Change of Registered Agent/Office (Form DOS-1336) for your records. The confirmation will serve as proof that you have successfully updated the registered agent information.
Remember to prioritize accurate information and provide all required details when completing the form. Additionally, make sure to comply with any additional filing requirements or regulations mentioned on the New York Department of State’s website.
For more detailed instructions and access to the necessary forms, please visit the New York Department of State’s official website at https://www.dos.ny.gov/.
3. Change New York Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person
To change a registered agent in the state of New York by mail, follow these steps:
Obtain the appropriate form:
You’ll need to complete and submit Form DOS-1336, which is the “Certificate of Change of Registered Agent/Registered Office” form. You can obtain this form from the New York Department of State’s official website.
Download the form:
Visit the website of the New York Department of State, Division of Corporations, and search for “Form DOS-1336” in the forms section. Once you find the form, click on the link to download it in PDF format.
Complete the form:
Print out the downloaded form and carefully fill in all the required information. Make sure to provide accurate details regarding the current registered agent and the new registered agent.
Prepare supporting documentation:
In addition to the completed form, you may need to attach additional supporting documentation. Typically, this includes a Consent to Appointment signed by the new registered agent, as well as any required filing fees. Ensure that all necessary documents are included.
Before sending the form and supporting documents, make copies for your records. This will help you have a reference of the materials you submitted.
Mail the form:
Send the completed form and supporting documentation, along with the appropriate filing fee, to the following address:
New York Department of State Division of Corporations One Commerce Plaza 99 Washington Avenue Albany, NY 12231
Wait for processing:
Once the Department of State receives your mail, they will review the submitted documents and process your request. Processing times may vary, so be patient. You can check the status of your filing on the New York Department of State’s website.
It’s important to note that the steps mentioned above are based on the general process of changing a registered agent in New York by mail. For specific requirements and up-to-date information, it is recommended to visit the official website of the New York Department of State’s Division of Corporations at https://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/index.html.
New York Business Tips
When it comes to forming an LLC in New York, it’s essential to consider the best LLC services and registered agents in New York. A good LLC service may prevent delays and effect the length of time to form your New York LLC due to filing errors from diy entreprenuers.
To begin, conduct a New York LLC name search to ensure the availability of your desired business name.
Once you’ve confirmed its availability, you can proceed with preparing the essential formation documents, including registering your New York business name and drafting a New York LLC operating agreement, which outlines the internal structure and management of your LLC.
It’s advisable to gather all required information and submit your filings promptly. Furthermore, applying for a business licenses in New York if you are required is something to consider and obtaining a New York Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS is essential for tax purposes if you plan to have employees.
In the event that you decide to dissolve an LLC in New York, ensure compliance with the state’s dissolution procedures to avoid any potential legal or financial complications.
Consulting with professional dissolution services like Incfile can provide valuable guidance and assistance throughout the dissolution process, ensuring a smooth conclusion to your LLC’s operations in New York.
How long does it take to change a registered agent in New York?
It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the New York Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.
Can I be my own registered agent in the state of New York?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of New York. New York allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.
When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in New York where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
- Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
- Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of New York.
By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.
Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the New York Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.