To change your registered agent in the state of Louisiana, you’ll need to file a “Change of Registered Agent” form with the Louisiana Secretary of State. You can submit the form in three ways.
To change your registered agent in Louisiana there are three main options to take.
- Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
- Do it online
- Do it by mail or in-person
Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.
1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in Louisiana
Using a professional registered agent service in the state of Louisiana can provide several benefits for businesses.
Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:
1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with Louisiana state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.
2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.
3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.
4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.
5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in Louisiana but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.
6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.
7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.
It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within Louisiana state regulations.
2. Change Louisiana Registered Agent Online
To change a registered agent in the state of Louisiana online, you can follow these steps using the Louisiana Secretary of State’s online portal:
1. Access the Louisiana Secretary of State’s website. You can find it at https://www.sos.la.gov/. This website provides various services and resources related to business entities in Louisiana.
2. Navigate to the “Commercial Division” or “Business Services” section of the website. This section typically contains information and forms related to business entity filings.
3. Look for the specific form used for changing the registered agent. In Louisiana, the form typically used for this purpose is called the “Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office” form. This form allows you to update both the registered agent and the registered office address if necessary.
4. Download or access the electronic version of the “Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office” form. The Louisiana Secretary of State’s website should provide a link or option to download the form in a PDF or fillable format.
5. Fill out the form with the required information. Include details such as the current registered agent’s information, the new registered agent’s information, and the effective date of the change. Make sure to provide accurate and complete information to avoid any processing delays or issues.
6. Once you have completed the form, submit it electronically through the Louisiana Secretary of State’s online portal. Follow the instructions provided on the website to upload the form and any accompanying documents, if required.
7. Pay the applicable filing fee, if any. The Louisiana Secretary of State’s website should provide information on the fee amount and accepted payment methods. Online payment options are typically available for convenience.
8. Review and confirm your submission. Take a moment to verify that all the information provided is accurate and double-check the form before finalizing the submission.
9. After submitting the form, you should receive a confirmation or acknowledgment of the filing. Keep this confirmation for your records.
3. Change Louisiana Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person
To change a registered agent in the state of Louisiana by mail, follow these steps:
1. Prepare the required information: Gather all the necessary information about your business, including the current registered agent’s details and the new registered agent’s information.
2. Obtain the appropriate form: You will need to use the “Change of Registered Office/Agent” form provided by the Louisiana Secretary of State. The specific form is called “Form 3094”. You can obtain this form online through the official website of the Louisiana Secretary of State.
3. Access the official website: Visit the Louisiana Secretary of State’s website at https://www.sos.la.gov to access the required form and additional resources related to business filings.
4. Locate the form: Search for the “Forms” or “Business Services” section on the website (SEO keyword) to find the necessary form for changing your registered agent.
5. Download the form: Once you locate Form 3094, download it in PDF format (SEO keyword) to your computer or device.
6. Complete the form: Fill out the form accurately and completely. Provide your business name, identification number, current registered agent’s information, and the new registered agent’s details as required.
7. Include a cover letter (SEO keyword): Write a cover letter explaining the purpose of the mail and include any necessary supporting documentation, such as a certificate of acceptance from the new registered agent.
8. Prepare the mailing package: Print out the completed form, sign it, and include it along with the cover letter and any supporting documents.
9. Address the envelope: Address the envelope to the Louisiana Secretary of State’s office. The mailing address for filing the form is as follows:
Office of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
10. Mail the package: Place the completed form, cover letter, and supporting documents into an envelope, affix the appropriate postage, and mail it to the designated address.
Remember to keep copies of all the documents you submit for your records.
Please note that the information provided here is based on general knowledge, and it’s always advisable to visit the official website of the Louisiana Secretary of State for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding changing a registered agent in the state.
Official website link: https://www.sos.la.gov/
How long does it take to change a registered agent in Louisiana?
It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the Louisiana Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.
Can I be my own registered agent in the state of Louisiana?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of Louisiana. Louisiana allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.
When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in Louisiana where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
- Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
- Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of Louisiana.
By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.
Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the Louisiana Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.