To change your registered agent in the state of Arkansas, you’ll need to follow the specific guidelines provided by the Arkansas Secretary of State and file a Notice of Change of Registered Agent form with the Arkansas Secretary of State. Then choose one of the three main ways.
To change your registered agent in Arkansas there are three main options to take.
- Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
- Do it online
- Do it by mail or in-person
Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.
1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in Arkansas
Using a professional registered agent service in the state of Arkansas can provide several benefits for businesses.
Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:
1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with Arkansas state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.
2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.
3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.
4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.
5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in Arkansas but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.
6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.
7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.
It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within Arkansas state regulations.
2. Change Arkansas Registered Agent Online
To change your registered agent in Arkansas, you typically need to file the appropriate form with the Arkansas Secretary of State’s office. Here are the general steps you can follow:
- Visit the Arkansas Secretary of State website: Go to the official website of the Arkansas Secretary of State to access the necessary forms and information related to changing the registered agent. The website URL is: https://www.sos.arkansas.gov/
- Locate the correct form: Look for the form specifically designated for changing the registered agent. The form is typically called “Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office.”
- Download and complete the form: Download the form from the website, fill it out accurately and completely with the required information. Ensure you include the details of both the current and new registered agents.
- Submit the form: Once you have completed the form, you will need to submit it to the Arkansas Secretary of State’s office. The form can be submitted by mail or in person. It is advisable to check the current instructions and mailing address on the Secretary of State’s website or contact their office directly for the most up-to-date information.
3. Change Arkansas Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person
To change the registered agent in Arkansas by mail, you can follow these steps:
- Access the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website. The website link is: https://www.sos.arkansas.gov/.
- On the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website, navigate to the Business & Commercial Services section or search for “Business & Commercial Services” in the search bar.
- Look for the specific form required to change the registered agent. In Arkansas, the form you need is called “Statement of Change of Registered Agent or Registered Office” (Form 02-07). This form allows you to update both the registered agent and registered office information.
- Download Form 02-07 from the website. It is typically available in a PDF format.
- Fill out the form with the required information. You will need to provide details such as the name of the business entity, the current registered agent’s information, the new registered agent’s information, and the effective date of the change.
- Once you have completed the form, make a copy for your records.
- Prepare a cover letter to accompany the form. Include your contact information and a brief explanation stating that you are submitting the Form 02-07 to change the registered agent for your business.
- Mail the completed Form 02-07 and the cover letter to the following address:
Arkansas Secretary of State Business & Commercial Services Division
1401 W. Capitol Avenue, Suite 250
Little Rock, AR 72201
It is recommended to send the documents via certified mail or a similar service to track the delivery and ensure they reach the appropriate office.
Pay any required filing fees along with the submission. The specific fee amount will be indicated on the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website or in the filing instructions.
Remember to regularly check the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website for any updates or changes in the filing process or requirements.
How long does it take to change a registered agent in Arkansas?
It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the Arkansas Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.
Can I be my own registered agent in the state of Arkansas?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of Arkansas. Arkansas allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.
When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in Arkansas where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
- Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
- Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of Arkansas.
By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.
Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.