To change your registered agent in Wyoming, submit the “Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office” form, downloadable from the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website, after accurately filling out the required details including your business name, the current registered agent’s information, and the new registered agent’s details.
Ensure compliance with any formatting instructions. File the completed form electronically through the Secretary of State’s online portal, accompanied by the relevant filing fee.
This straightforward process guarantees a seamless transition while adhering to state regulations.
How to change your registered agent in Wyoming
There are three main options to take:
- Hire a professional service (the easiest way)
- Do it online
- Do it by mail or in-person
1. Hire a Professional Registered Agent Service in Wyoming
Using a professional registered agent service in the state of Wyoming can provide several benefits for businesses.
Tip: We recommend Northwest ($125/year) they can help you change your registered agent, and get the paperwork filed correctly.
Here are some of the advantages for using a registered agent service:
1. Compliance and Legal Requirements: The process of changing a registered agent is different for each state. A registered agent service ensures that your business remains compliant with Wyoming state regulations. They have a deep understanding of the legal requirements and deadlines associated with maintaining a registered agent, helping you avoid penalties and potential legal issues.
2. Reliable and Consistent Service: Professional registered agent services have dedicated staff who are responsible for receiving and handling legal documents and official correspondence on behalf of your business. This ensures that important documents are promptly and securely delivered to you, providing peace of mind and minimizing the risk of missing crucial notifications.
3. Privacy and Confidentiality: When you designate a professional registered agent, their address is used as your business’s registered address. This helps maintain your privacy by keeping your personal or business address off public records. It can also help protect you from unsolicited mail or unwanted visitors at your place of business.
4. Flexibility and Convenience: A registered agent service allows you to focus on running your business instead of constantly monitoring and receiving legal documents. They provide a reliable point of contact for all official correspondence, freeing up your time and resources.
5. Out-of-State Representation: If your business operates in multiple states or is incorporated in Wyoming but operates elsewhere, a registered agent service can handle the requirements of being a registered agent in those other states. This ensures compliance with the respective state’s regulations, even if you’re not physically located there.
6. Professional Expertise: Registered agent services specialize in providing registered agent services and have expertise in handling legal documents and compliance matters. They can offer guidance on various business-related matters and may provide additional services like business entity formation, annual report filing, and other administrative tasks.
7. Business Continuity: If you change your business address or move out of state, having a professional registered agent ensures that your business will maintain a consistent point of contact. This helps prevent interruptions in receiving important documents and legal notices, allowing your business to continue operating smoothly.
It’s important to research and choose a reputable registered agent service provider that meets your specific business needs and operates within Wyoming state regulations.
2. Change Wyoming Registered Agent Online
To change a registered agent in the state of Wyoming online, follow these steps:
- Access the Wyoming Secretary of State’s Website: Visit the official website of the Wyoming Secretary of State. This can be done by typing “Wyoming Secretary of State” into a search engine or by directly entering the URL https://sos.wyo.gov/ in your web browser.
- Locate the Business Division Section: Once on the website, navigate to the Business Division section. Look for a tab or menu option that specifically mentions “Business Division” or “Business Services.” This section typically contains information and resources related to business entities in Wyoming.
- Find the Registered Agent Change Form: Within the Business Division section, search for the registered agent change form. It is commonly referred to as the “Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office” form. This form is used to officially notify the Secretary of State about the change of your registered agent.
- Download the Form: Locate the downloadable version of the registered agent change form on the website. The form is usually available in PDF format. Click on the link or button associated with the form to initiate the download.
- Complete the Form: Open the downloaded form and fill it out accurately and completely. Provide the required information, including the name of your business entity, your current registered agent’s details, and the information for the new registered agent. Ensure that you adhere to any formatting or specific instructions mentioned on the form.
- Include LSI Keywords: When optimizing your content for SEO, consider using related terms or LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) words. For example, you can incorporate terms such as “registered agent change,” “Wyoming registered agent,” “business entity,” “Secretary of State,” or “Statement of Change of Registered Agent.”
- Submit the Form Online: After completing the form, navigate back to the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website and find the online filing portal. Follow the instructions provided to upload and submit the registered agent change form electronically. Be prepared to pay any associated filing fees, which are typically mentioned on the website.
- Confirmation and Notification: Once the form is successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation or acknowledgment of the filing. The Wyoming Secretary of State’s office will process the change and update the registered agent information for your business entity. Make sure to inform your new registered agent about their appointment.
3. Change Wyoming Registered Agent By Mail or In-Person
To change a registered agent in the state of Wyoming by mail, you can follow these steps:
- Obtain the appropriate form: You will need to fill out the “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent” form. This form can be obtained from the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website.
- Visit the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website: Go to the website of the Wyoming Secretary of State, which is the official governing body responsible for business filings in Wyoming. The website address is https://soswy.state.wy.us.
- Navigate to the forms section: On the website, look for the section that provides access to various forms. This section may be labeled as “Forms” or “Business Forms.”
- Locate the “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent” form: Browse through the available forms and find the “Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent” form. This is the form you need to complete and submit.
- Download and print the form: Once you have located the form, download it in a printable format (PDF or Word) and print out a physical copy.
- Complete the form: Fill in the required information on the form accurately and legibly. Ensure that you provide the correct details for both the old and new registered agents.
- Prepare the necessary attachments: Check the form instructions to see if any additional documents or attachments are required. For example, you might need to include a consent form signed by the new registered agent.
- Prepare a cover letter: Write a cover letter explaining the purpose of your submission. Include your contact information, such as your name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Package the documents: Place the completed form, any required attachments, and the cover letter in an envelope. Make sure to include the appropriate postage.
- Address the envelope: Address the envelope to the Wyoming Secretary of State. The mailing address is as follows:
Wyoming Secretary of State State Capitol Building, Room 110 200 West 24th Street Cheyenne, WY 82002-0020
- Submit the documents: Mail the envelope containing the completed form, attachments, and cover letter to the provided address. You may choose to send the documents via certified mail or with tracking for added security.
- Confirmation and processing: The Wyoming Secretary of State’s office will review your submission and process the change request. They will notify you by mail or email once the change has been made.
Remember to check the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website for any updated information or changes to the process before submitting your documents.
WY Business Entity Tips
You have the option to serve as your own registered agent in Wyoming, or you can opt for professional registered agent services.
Consider utilizing one of the top LLC services in Wyoming to receive expert assistance and ensure compliance with all legal requirements throughout the formation process.
Engaging the best registered agent services in Wyoming can provide efficient handling of critical documents and legal notifications, and if you ever need to change your registered agent, we have an article on that.
Lastly, if the time comes to close and dissolve an LLC in Wyoming, understanding the proper steps and regulations is essential. Seek guidance from legal professionals to ensure a smooth dissolution process in compliance with Wyoming state laws and requirements.
How long does it take to change a registered agent in Wyoming?
It typically takes around 5-10 business days for the Wyoming Secretary of State’s office to process the change of registered agent. This timeframe can vary depending on the volume of filings and other factors.
Can I be my own registered agent in the state of Wyoming?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in the state of Wyoming. Wyoming allows business entities to designate themselves as their own registered agent, as long as they meet the requirements set by the state.
When acting as your own registered agent, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Physical Address: You must have a physical street address in Wyoming where you can receive service of process and official correspondence. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.
- Availability: You must be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) to accept legal documents and other important notifications on behalf of your business.
- Residency: If you are an individual acting as the registered agent for your business, you must be a resident of Wyoming.
By serving as your own registered agent, you take on the responsibility of promptly receiving and handling legal documents and official notices on behalf of your business.
Please note that requirements and regulations may change over time, so it’s advisable to verify the most up-to-date information on the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website or by contacting their office directly.